Most browsers today include a feature that blocks pop-up windows. While this is great to eliminate videos that auto-play, ads and other bothersome pop-up windows, this feature can sometimes disrupt the function of applications like chat, help desk support or security options.
If you haven’t configured your browser yet to allow for some pop-ups, here are some steps to help you stay connected to your favorite websites. Google Chrome has some of the strongest security measures and prevents pop-ups from automatically appearing and cluttering your screen.
When the browser blocks pop-ups for a site, the icon appears in the address bar. Click on the icon to see all the pop-ups that have been blocked or to manage pop-up settings for your site.
Google Chrome (Windows/OS X)
- Open Chrome. At the top right, click Chrome menu on the toolbar.
- Go to Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings at the bottom.
- Under 'Privacy and security', click Content settings.
- Click Pop-ups and redirects.
- At the top, add website to Allow and enter URL.
- Close any remaining dialog boxes.
Safari 5.x/6.x/7.x (OS X)
Safari for OS X doesn’t have a per-website control over blocking pop-ups windows like Chrome. Pop-ups are either blocked by Safari, or they are not. To allow pop-ups:
- From the Safari menu on your computer, make sure the Block pop-up windows option is unchecked. Unchecking this option will allow pop-ups.
- When you want to block pop-ups again, check Block pop-up windows in the Safari menu. If you love keyboard shortcuts like me, use: shift-[command key]-K.
- From the Safari menu on your computer, select "Preferences..." and then click on the Security tab.
- Make sure the Block pop-up windows option is unchecked. Unchecking this option will allow you to receive pop-ups.
- To once again block pop-ups, check the Block pop-up windows checkbox and you are done.
Mozilla Firefox (Windows/OS X)
- Open up Firefox.
- In your right upper-hand corner, you will see a hamburger menu, Select "Options..." from the Tools menu (Windows) or "Preferences..." from the Firefox menu (OS X). The variable (OS X) or Options (Windows)dialog box will open up.
- In the top panel of the dialog box, click on the Content icon to display the Content dialog box or go to Privacy and Security tab on left side.
- In the Content dialog box or Permissions settings, ensure the Block pop-up windows checkbox is selected, then click the adjacent "Exceptions..." button.
- Copy and paste https://www.poweroftexas.com into Address of website field, then click Allow. Select Save changes at bottom. Now the selected webpage is added to your list of Allowed Sites.
Microsoft Internet Explorer 10/11 (Windows 7/8)
- Open Internet Explorer.
- From the Tools menu, select Pop-up Blocker → Pop-up Blocker Settings. The Pop-up Blocker Settings dialog box opens.
- Copy and paste https://www.poweroftexas.com into Address of website to allow field.
- Click Add. The selected website is added to the list of Allowed sites.
- Click Close to close the Pop-up Blocker Settings dialog box.