Texas does everything bigger, right? So it makes perfect sense that Texas leads the United States in wind energy production. The Texas wind industry is providing jobs, helping the environment, and even saving consumers money.
Note: This data is based on facts collected at the end of 2018.
1. Wind TurbinesThe state of Texas has 12,973 installed wind turbines.
2. US Generated Wind PowerTexas accounts for about ¼ of all generated wind power in the United States.
3. Competing on a world levelThere are only 5 countries on earth producing more wind energy than the state of Texas, according to a report by the Department of Energy in 2018.
4. Ranked Number 1 in the USTexas has nearly 23,421 megawatts of installed wind power, with the next closest state being Oklahoma, at about 7,694 megawatts installed. One megawatt can power about 200 homes during peak demand.
5. Job CreationThe wind industry in Texas has created more than 24,000 jobs for Texans.
6. UsageNearly 15% of energy used in Texas in 2017 came from wind energy.
7. Saving WaterIn 2017, Texas wind energy saved the equivalent of 23.4 billion gallons of water.
8. Reducing CostsWind (and solar) energy reduced wholesale power costs to Texas energy consumers by $5.7 billion between 2010 and 2017.
9. ExpansionTexas is the only state in the country on its own power grid, and the lack of federal oversight has been a contributor to rapid wind power expansion.
Power of Texas is proud that Texas is leading the way in renewable energy. Learn more about how Power of Texas is dedicated to keeping Texas green for future generations.